Friday, January 6, 2012

Music to my ears


One of my most favorite things in the world (other than designing greeting cards, of course) is going to concerts. I love me some live music something fierce. In the past few years, Milwaukee has been stellar at bringing some great big name and small name bands to the city. And it helps that Milwaukee has some amazing music venues like the big guys: The Pabst/Turner Hall/Riverside & the perfect intimate venue: The Cactus Club. I get really freakishly excited when I experience an extra good live show, and I just happened to see 4 really exceptional ones this past year that I'd like to share...

The Eels @ Turner Hall: I didn't really have much expectation for this show because I don't know much of the Eels music, but got tickets for Adam because he likes them. I always thought the Eels were pretty mellow, but holy frack, they totally rocked the crap out of Turner Hall. It was one of the most entertaining shows I've ever been to.

Sat. Nite Duets & The Fatty Acids @ Cactus Club:  I always love going to a show and discovering a great new band, and the Cactus Club has provided me with this time and time again. This show was super great because I found not one, but two great bands- from Mke too! (On a side note, these 2 are playing together next weekend in Milwaukee!)

Wilco @ Riverside: I've always been a Wilco fan, but the one time I saw them live, about 7 years ago, I was really disappointed. That particular show was kind of boring and felt really stale. Because of that, I've stayed away from seeing them live, despite everyone always saying how good they are live. But when I heard they were coming to Milwaukee again, I wanted to give them another chance, and I'm really happy I did. It was a really beautiful show full of a good variety of their long playlist. It made me remember why I love Wilco so dearly.

White Rabbits @ Cactus Club: Dude, this show was awesome! I first saw the White Rabbits when they were an opening act and fell in love immediately. So I was stoked to hear they were playing at the Cactus Club. They were super energetic and it was perfect seeing them in such a small venue.


What were some good shows you saw this past year? I always love discovering a new great band!

No comments: